Facial Plastics & Reconstruction
Reconstructive plastic surgery consists of re-structuring the elements of the face using surgical techniques and plastic inserts. Many people view these surgeries as an unnecessary vanity, but they can be a necessary component in treating certain conditions. We perform these reconstructive facial plastic surgeries at Andros ENT & Sleep Center.
What is Facial Plastic Surgery?
Facial plastic surgery is the process of reconstructing the nose, ears, chin, and other elements of the face using implants and surgical techniques. A few common types of facial plastic surgery include:
- Rhinoplasty – more commonly known as a “nose job,” in which the nose is reshaped to look more aesthetically pleasing.
- Face Lift – in which the jawline is made more prominent by “lifting” the skin in the lower part of the face.
- Blepharoplasty – or eyelid reconstruction surgery. It can be performed on the upper or lower eyelids.
- Neck Lift – in this procedure, the skin of the neck is tightened to reduce wrinkles and flabbiness.
- Chin Augmentation – This procedure is related to a face lift in that the ultimate goal is to make the chin more prominent. However, the approaches are different. A face lift tightens up the skin around the jaw, while a chin augmentation adds an implant to reshape the chin and jawline.
- Earlobe Repair – Often used to treat earring-related trauma or wear and tear over time, the earlobe repair involves tightening the over-stretched skin of the lobe.
These procedures can be performed for a multitude of reasons, from reconstruction after an accident or injury, to having the surgeries done purely for cosmetic reasons.
Isn’t Plastic Surgery Just for Celebrities?
Contrary to popular belief, facial plastic surgery is not just for wealthy celebrities who want to maintain their youthful image. Plastic surgery can help ordinary people regain their confidence in appearance, and help people who have suffered injuries to the face. Additionally, facial surgery can be a necessary component in the treatment of serious medical conditions, such as skin cancer.