Effective Communication Strategies
As humans, our ability to communicate with others helps us navigate the busy world. Most importantly, communication helps to maintain the important relationships with those we love. For those with hearing loss, maintaining conversations can be difficult and frustrating.
The following communication strategies can help those with and without hearing loss.
- When having a conversation, always looks at the person who is speaking.
- Getting the attention of your conversation partner ensures that they are able to look at you and attend to what you are saying.
- Reduce any distance between you and the speaker. In doing so, you make sure that your voice is audible and that you are maintaining face-to-face communication.
- Ensure you face is visible and in good lighting. Looking away as you are speaking or covering you face or mouth, may make it more difficult for someone with hearing loss to successfully understand what you are saying.
- Speak clearly. Louder is not necessarily better.
- Reduce any background noise in the environment, i.e. television, radio, etc. If necessary, move to a quieter area to converse.
Latest posts by Hillary Toennies (see all)
- Labor Health & Benefit Fair - March 29, 2017
- Andros ENT and Sleep Center and Andros MedSpa at The WomEn’s Conference - February 24, 2017
- Andros ENT Audigy Conference - January 26, 2017